Kaleider AppTM 4.5.2
(for Android Devices)
The Kaleider app makes it possible to experience much of the visual
magic of the full Kaleider PC program on an Android device.
It generates an amazing variety of Kaleidoscopes, Mirrors, 3D Mirrors and
Funnels. Any JPEG or PNG image can be used as the source for effects.
The Kaleider app is entirely free, and includes no ad displays,
data collection, tracking or other marketing gimmicks. It can be obtained
through Google Play, the Amazon App Store, and various other app
download sites. See Kaleider TV
for Android TV and Fire TV devices.
Here is a brief summary of the primary features of the Kaleider Android app:
- Effects =>
Instantly generate a random effect by touching the Effect button.
Long-touch the Effect button (or touch the Options button ) to
choose a particular effect from among the 157 available varieties (12
Kaleidoscopes, 41 Rectangle Mirrors, 33 Diamond Mirrors,
44 Triangle Mirrors, 11 3D Mirrors and 16 Funnels).
Also, the previously rendered effect can be re-rendered with the same parameters
at its original position (before any Tile Shifting or Wandering
movements). And it's possible to re-render the last effect type with random
- Tile Shifting => Touch and drag the screen
to interactively shift rendered effect tiles. Pinch with 2 fingers to Zoom in/out,
or twist with 2 fingers to 'virtually' rotate the source image.
- Wander Effects =>
Wander can be activated to apply continuous automated motion to effects.
- Colors =>
Progressively shifts the colors of effect pixels according to selectable methods.
- 3D Rooms =>
Exhibits patterns in 3D perspectives, covering the walls, ceilings and floors of
various Rooms. The Rooms can be navigated via keyboard
commands, or automated Roaming motion can be activated.
- Non-Flat Surfaces =>
Maps effect tiles onto a variety of curved Surfaces, resulting in non-linear
distortions of the patterns.
- Auto Effects =>
Continuously generates random effects, periodically changing the source image.
Wandering motions, Colors, Rooms and Surfaces might also be randomly
activated depending upon configured options.
- Save Effects =>
Rendered effects can be saved as JPEG or PNG images.
- Music Player =>
Kaleider effects can optionally be accompanied by music chosen from the audio files
stored on your device.
- Options =>
Buttons are available to quickly perform most actions, and keyboard commands can be
used if a keyboard is available. Appearance Options can be set to hide
the Android Status and Navigation bars, so that the entire screen is available for effects.
Kaleider Android Version History
Version 4.5, 4.5.1 and 4.5.2
- The Triangle Mirrors feature that was recently added to the Kaleider
Windows program (see Kaleider
5.3) has now been included with the Kaleider Android app. A large
selection of Triangle Mirror Patterns are available, with 4 variations of each
Pattern type to allow a choice of the desired orientation for the right triangle
shape. For example, choose the L/R version for a right triangle with
the 90 degree angle at the Lower/Right. Most Triangle Mirrors are
perfectly symmetrical, and often quite intricate.
- Extensive internal restructuring to make the app more reliable and efficient,
especially for 64-bit devices.
- 4.5.1 fixed crashes that occurred with some devices (my apologies!).
- 4.5.2 added the ability to 'virtually' rotate the source image by twisting a
rendered effect with 2 fingers. As before, pinching with 2 fingers will
shrink/expand an effect. If the effect description is visible, the rotate
degrees or scale percent will also be displayed. Touching and moving with a
single finger will shift the effect tiles. Several other fixes and tweaks.
Versions 4.4, 4.4.1 and 4.4.2
- More fixes and minor tweaks.
- This version is primarily intended to fix occasional crashes.
- The buttons panel at the bottom (or the side) of the screen has been removed,
and now the Actions Panel at the top of the screen provides access to all
Kaleider functions. The Actions Panel will automatically adjust
to one or two rows of buttons depending on the screen size, and
buttons might appear to access additional Actions. The Actions
Panel can be hidden by touching the icon at the top-left of the screen, and
then restored by touching . By default, the Actions Panel has a
transparent background, but the Transparent Actions Panel setting in
Appearance Options can be unchecked to make it a solid dark gray.
- Appearance Options now includes a Use Full Screen option to
hide the Android Status and Navigation bars, making the entire screen available for
effects. A swipe near the bottom (or side) of the screen will briefly redisplay
the Status and Navigation bars whenever needed.
- Appearance Options have also been added to better control the message text
that can appear at the bottom of the screen. Show Action Descriptions
(on by default) will display the purpose of the last button touched. Show
Effect Descriptions (off by default) displays the last effect type that has been
- The Save function now provides a choice to save either an image
of the currently displayed effect (as before), or a Tile image of the current
effect. Tile images can potentially be seamlessly tiled together to create
larger images of any size.
- Since Kaleider Plus is now free, the old Kaleider Free app has
been discontinued, and Kaleider Plus is now called the Kaleider app.
- The interface has been redesigned. The Tool Bar at the top of the
screen is now transparent and overlays the displayed image. The Tool Bar
can be toggled on/off by touching the icon. With the buttons panel also
toggled off, the entire screen is available for displaying effects.
- The Image Selection process has been improved. The
icon can be long-touched to allow selection of an image from the Gallery (or
some other image app), and there is also a Use Gallery App option in the
Image Selection screen. The SD cards on most devices will now be
detected when selecting an Image Directory or a Music Directory.
- A Motion Control feature has been added to allow adjustment of the
speed and smoothness of automated Wandering and Room Roaming actions.
- The graphics for 3D Rooms has been updated to possibly provide enhanced
performance for newer, more powerful devices.
- The Kaleider Plus app is now free! The 2 apps will probably eventually
be combined into a single app.
- Redesigned interface to replace text buttons with image buttons. Buttons will
occur in either 2 or 3 rows (or columns), as needed to fit within the screen size.
Button descriptions can be displayed whenever a button is touched (unless that option
has been toggled off in Appearance Options).
- The sizing and positioning of effects has been improved to better adjust to
different screen sizes.
- Now, when an Image Directory is selected, only directories that contain images will
be listed, along with counts of the images stored within.
- An Audio Directory can also now be selected from a list of directories that contain
audio files. A particular song within a directory can be chosen and played.
- The Keyboard Commands have been changed so that the most common functions can
be performed with numeric keys. (Touch and Actions to show
- Fixed crashes with 64-bit devices.
- Improved interface when using without a touch-screen.
- Fix for Kaleider Plus crashes with license checking for Lollipop devices.
- Improved Mirror rendering, and added 12 new pre-defined Mirrors.
- Added a Music Player to select and play audio files stored on your device.
- Added an option for Auto Effects on Current Image.
- Improved interface with larger button images and a Message line that can be
- Several other enhancements and fixes.
- Fixed Kaleider Plus 3D Rooms crashes that occurred with some devices.
- Other minor fixes and improvements.
- Added the ability to Zoom effects via the touch screen. Pinch inward to
shrink, pinch outward to expand.
- The Kaleider apps will now be included in the Share Menu of the
Gallery (and any other apps that can share images). This makes it possible to use
the Gallery as an alternative means of selecting an image for use as the source for
- Corrected the Date and Time stored with images saved by the Kaleider
- Fixed a serious glitch with certain images that would cause rendered effects
to appear mostly black.
- Replaced the ActionBarSherlock library with the Google supported
ActionBarCompat library. (Much gratitude still to Jack Wharton for the
excellent interim solution of ActionBarSherlock.)
- Several other minor fixes and improvements.
- Better offline License verification (Kaleider Plus).
- Other minor fixes and improvements.
- Fixed lockups and display glitches that occurred with certain devices.
- Fixed a fairly serious glitch with displaying small images (sorry!).
- Added an Action Bar and other interface enhancements.
- Improved support for tablet devices.
- New Cone and Spike Funnels.
- New Pyramid and Carousel Rooms (Kaleider Plus).
- New Knolls, Queaser and Wings Surfaces (Kaleider Plus).
- Fixed several glitches.
- Fixed occasional crashes.
- Significantly faster performance.
- Improved Non-Flat Surfaces rendering (Kaleider Plus).
- Several interface improvements.
- Initial release.